We believe that marriage is a sacred institution that God created from His heart – it is a gift that He gives. It is a gift to honored (Hebrews 13:4). Though marriage is important, it isn’t always easy. Due to human sinfulness, wounded-ness, various hang-ups and the stresses of life most couples struggle at some point in their marriage. As life would have it we as humans often bring dishonor to marriage. We fail, make mistakes, hurt and wound our spouses, sometimes bringing damage to our marriages and families. We believe that all marriages can be healed, repaired and made better than they have ever been, provided God is placed in the center and both spouses work and pray hard for each other and their marriage.
If you are struggling or need some perspective with some of the issues in your marriage and would like someone to pray with you and help you (whether as a couple or as an individual) contact Pastor Tim Ryan to set up an appointment with a trained volunteer marriage coach and/or with Pastor Tim. We are currently developing a very practical and intentional marriage ministry that we believe will be incredibly helpful in turning many marriages around and towards God, back to the Giver of Marriage.
SCC Statements on Marriage
1. Marriage is not a human creation, or invention, but a God-given, God-initiated, and God-ordained institution (Genesis 2:18 & 2:24).
2. God intended marriage to be a monogamous, life-long union (Genesis 2:24, Exodus 20:14) between one man and one woman, to the exclusion of all others (Genesis 2:18, 20-25; Mark 10:7-9). Furthermore, God also intended that those who marry not be close blood relatives (Leviticus 18:6-18).
3. Marriage is constituted in mutual covenant and is a solemn, binding agreement entered into before God and others (Malachi 2:14). God views the breaking of this covenant very seriously (2 Samuel 12; Malachi 2:16).
4. Marriage is about love and companionship (Genesis 2:18).
5. Marriage is also about more than love and companionship (Malachi 2:15). All human beings are born of a mother and begotten by a father. This is a universal biological reality and the common experience of all people - all human beings require someone of the opposite sex to create life. Marriage is a unique relationship, then, whose chief function is to promote the biological unity of sexual opposites as the basis for family formation. It is the God-ordained institution (see above) charged with providing the stability, love, and nurture necessary for raising children and propagating the human race. As such, marriage is a child-centered, rather than adult-centered, institution.